Total Pageviews

Tuesday 17 September 2013

SLAM! Celebrating 25k.

To celebrate getting my 25 thousandth page view (OMG GUISE THANK YOU!) I thought I would do something a little bit different.

This blog was always supposed to be about things I love as well as a place to talk/rant about feminism and one of the things I love is poetry.

Slam poetry in particular.

It is so angry and raw and pure. It makes me cry. Happy, righteous, FURIOUS tears! And it makes me laugh. Bitter, recognition laughs.

So to celebrate I thought I would share my current favourites with you. Feel free to add more you think I might like.

This is the one I found recently. It deals with education about rape and made me sob with how powerful it is.

It is called 'One Color'.




And then we have Katie Makkai with 'Pretty'. This one makes me want to punch the air as she totally dissects beauty standards,



Then there is this. Two angry, young black women calling out appropriation of their culture. Not comfortable for some but truth bombs are hitting their mark left right and centre.



Last but at no means least is the poem that started me on the journey.

This was my first exposure to slam poetry and I thank @midweshtener for it from the bottom of my heart.

Sonya Renee. What Women Deserve.



So, what does my choice of poetry say about me. That I will always believe in education, choice, intellect being more important than 'beauty' and that voices should and will always be raised to fight for those things.

Thanks again everyone who puts up with my ranting... See you at 50k xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment